2151 Main Street Suite 201, Sarasota, Florida 34237
  • RSS Feed
  • Google +
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
Call For A Free Consultation: 941-315-6679
The Byrd Law Firm, P.A.


The Byrd Law Firm P.A. is located in Sarasota, Florida and has been providing legal services to residents of Sarasota, Bradenton & Venice for the past 13 years.

Our Criminal Law & DUI attorneys, Derek Byrd & Drew Solnoki, are known for their aggressive and succes…

Learn More ›

Divorce Blog Post

Modifying a Florida Divorce Decree

Florida family courts consider many factors in determining appropriate child support or alimony awards. If there is a difference in the financial resources and employment capabilities between the spouses, the high earner will be required to provide financial help for a set period of time. In child support arrangements, the court expects both parents to contribute their fair share. Award formulas are based on parental incomes and amount of time each spends with the child.

In order to modify a child support agreement, you need to demonstrate that the factors used to determine the original award have significantly changed. The court may agree to modify child support if there is a 15 percent difference between the original and current calculated awards. This can occur if either parent experiences a change in income or the timesharing schedule with the children is modified.

In general, alimony awards can be modified if the financial circumstances of either party substantially change, and will terminate if the recipient party remarries. Rehabilitative alimony awards may be modified if the recipient is not complying with the plan. You may also request a change if your ex-spouse is living with someone in a supportive relationship. This may be hard to prove, but a qualified divorce attorney can make sure the court looks at all the available evidence.

Family court requires convincing evidence before they agree to modify a divorce decree. The Byrd Law Firm has helped clients get fair and just spousal and child support awards and we know how to successfully petition for modifications when necessary.


  1. Posted May 23, 2013 at 5:50 am | Permalink

    What i don’t realize is in reality how you’re no longer actually a lot more smartly-preferred than you might be right now.
    You are very intelligent. You already know thus considerably in
    relation to this matter, produced me individually consider it from so many varied angles.
    Its like men and women don’t seem to be involved unless it is one thing to accomplish with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs excellent. At all times deal with it up!

  2. Posted June 13, 2013 at 9:09 am | Permalink

    Great info! Than you for sharing!

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


In order to help you more quickly, please fill out the quick form and submit.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Contact Form
The Byrd Law Firm P.A.
2151 Main Street, Suite 201
Sarasota, Florida, 34237 USA