If you’ve been charged with a crime, your freedom and your future are at stake. You shouldn’t be guided by jail-house rumor, flashy television ads or the Yellow Pages in selecting a lawyer to defend you.
So how do you decide who is going to be your advocate in the courtroom? For the best possible criminal defense, you want an attorney who:
- Is board-certified by the Florida Bar Association as a criminal trial attorney
- Has a substantial practice focusing on criminal defense
- Has a proven track record of obtaining acquittals or lesser included charges or dismissals
- Is extremely familiar with the courts of your jurisdiction and their personnel and procedures
- Brings more than a decade of criminal litigation experience to your case
- Is in good standing with both the Florida State Bar and the local county bar association
- Is highly rated in the definitive guide to the most distinguished law firms in America, the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Has positive endorsements from clients and peers
- Is aggressive in standing up for your legal and constitutional rights
- Is demonstratively successful in negotiations with prosecutors and judges to get the best result for you
Research before you choose your defense lawyer. Most attorneys and law firms have webpages: Visit their websites to examine the qualifications and experience of the firm’s attorneys. You want a firm that focuses on criminal law. You should also find an attorney who practices in your area – if you were arrested in Sarasota County, a Jacksonville lawyer won’t be as helpful as a local advocate.
Make a list of the top three or five attorneys you think you would like to have represent you. Then call and make an appointment. Ask about an initial consultation about your case and then interview the lawyer. Determine if this is someone you can work with, who will be straightforward about what you’re facing in criminal proceedings.
Or, you can simply go straight to one of Sarasota’s highly respected and experienced criminal defense attorneys from the outset at The Byrd Law Firm.